Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat grabs my leg and bites me. What reasons would make

My cat grabs my leg...
My cat grabs my leg and bites me. What reasons would make him do this and how can I stop this behavior?
7/16/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you tell me more about your cat?

1) Male or female?
2) How old?
3) Is s/he declawed?
4) What is happening before this occurs? Are you walking by? Is it playtime? Feeding time?
5) Any other pets in the home?

Male, 3 1/2, not declawed, he'll usually bit me when I walk by in the house and he wants to play and he'll bit me after I take him in the yard and I'll walk near him and he thinks I'm going to take him inside . It's not feeding time and yes I have another female cat that was in the house before him

Does the other cat play with him?

Alittle

Thank you. And is your male cat neutered?

I think he does it when he wants it play. Can I teach him to communicate to me in a different way when he wants to play ?

I think you're correct that he's wanting to play.

There is a great deal of benefit that will come from playing more (he'll be less aggressive when asking for playtime). I would urge you to purchase some toys that don't involve you and consider even adopting a third cat to be a playmate for your boy (talk to me about this further, if this is an option). Toys to consider would be:

1) Flingamastring:https://www.amazon.com/Moody-Pet-FAS-1-Fling-Ama-String/dp/B00IRJ7NL0
2) Undercover bird or mouse: https://www.amazon.com/Pawaboo-Teasing-Undercover-Electronic-Interactive/dp/B01IP4N07M/ref=sr_1_4?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1473898178&sr=1-4&keywords=undercover+mouse
3) Kong wobbler (fill with tasty treats, show him how it works and let his interest take it from there, you can also add his food and let him work for it): https://www.amazon.com/KONG-Wobbler-Treat-Dispensing-Large/dp/B003ALMW0M/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1473898207&sr=1-1&keywords=Kong+wobbler
4) Bolt: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/1251082?cm_mmc=PLA-GG-_-PTC_P_SUP_PLA-GG_FY16_NB-Cat-Supplies-PLA-_-Cat_All-_-92700019975429177&gclid=Cj0KCQjwnazLBRDxARIsAECdauuo0y3wfcbHG3NdNTsgikHucJ97P-Sf1_S4tv0PLP5NTqPOv7rw6zYaArmCEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

You may also wish to try some puzzles.

1: http://tullystraining.com/blog/the-best-puzzle-toys-to-keep-your-dog-busy
2: https://www.babble.com/pets/10-brain-games-to-challenge-and-entertain-your-pet/

If he's active and might enjoy some regular exercise: http://onefastcat.com

If he's a cat that might fetch, you can certainly teach him to bring you toys to play with. Otherwise, try to have a playtime hour every night at the same time that is NOT immediately upon your arrival home.

If regular playtime does not break the habit of attacking you, I would urge you to keep a can of dried beans (you can use an empty soda can filled with dry beans and taped shut) or a bottle of water set to stream with you in the home. Anytime he is poised for attack either shake the can of beans and firmly say "NO!" or use the bottle of water to shoot a stream at his hind end and also say "NO!". Eventually you won't need the beans or water bottle to assert yourself and tell him he's doing something unwanted and he will stop pursuing attacking your legs. The regular play time will also give him something to look forward to and he won't need to demand attention from you by attacking your legs. As well, anytime he might attack your legs, correct him but give him something to do without you such as the flingamastring or bolt toys. These move the focus off of you and allow him to play on his own. You can and should still institute playtime with him, but it should never be as a reward for attacking you. Make sure your playtime only occurs after you've been left alone for at least 30 minutes without any ornery behavior from him.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse