Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Cat is about one year old, indoor only cat. she has lost hair directly over her nose. He nose looks more like a diamond

She is about one year...
She is about one year old, indoor only cat. she has lost hair directly over her nose. He nose looks more like a diamond now than a triangle, and the top edge is black. it doesn't seem go bother her. Ringworm?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Cora
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cora?
Customer: We got her from a shelter 6 months ago. up to date o. everything. She did have ear mites about a month ago, but her ears are perfectly clear now.
7/16/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you upload a photo(s) of Cora's face to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

Ringworm is a consideration but unlikely in an indoor cat. An autoimmune skin condition such as early pemphigus foliaceus needs to considered as well particularly if the lesion is symmetrical. Cora's vet will want to fungal culture hairs at the periphery of the alopecia. If a dermatophyte (fungal ringworm) can't be demonstrated, skin biopsy is necessary to confirm pemphigus. Bacterial and yeast (Malassezia) infections do occur but are less common in cats than in dogs. Her vet can perform a cytology (microscopic exam of a small sample of affected skin surface) looking for abnormal numbers of either bacteria or yeast and then treat accordingly. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Ok, thank you for your insight.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Hi April,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian