Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I have taken home feral pregnant cat. She gave birth 10 days

ago. I keep her isolated...
I have taken home feral pregnant cat. She gave birth 10 days ago. I keep her isolated in the bedroom because I have few cats myself. They don't enter that room. In the beginning she was happy to see me going there to feed her. Now she is overprotective hissing at me and trying to attack me when I clean her cat litter. She stays under the bed since the beginning and never left except to eat.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: How can I help her calm down. Is it safe to give her calming aid
7/16/2017
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

Ok

Is she a young cat as in this may be her first litter?

Calming supplements are fine as well as calming feline pheromones ( I recommend one called Feliway can be bought from your veterinarian or on amazon.com or chewy.com) A diffuser plug in would be best to provide continuous pheromones and hopefully decrease her anxiety and aggression.

We can also add in something called composure into her food ( it is a calming treat supplement and can be bought off amazon.com ro at your veterinarian's office)

Hormones right now for her are telling her that she needs to be on guard since she is in a new environment with babies and she can smell the other cats and even though you are taking care of her you are new too and if she is a new mother this is probably a lot for her to take in since she feels like she cannot relax her guard.

Maternal behavior is powerful.

There are medications we can try once the kittens are on solid food. Fluoxetine can reduce the motivation to be aggressive. It will take 3 - 4 weeks at least to see an effect so that may take too long unless you are deciding to keep the mother cat.

As far as I know this is her second litter. She had babies back in march but idk what happened to them. I've Ben feeding this cat for more than a year and she was always friendly to me. This-time I managed to take her home but she is acting aggressively last few d
I already order the diffuser but will come in few days

We can try some counter conditioning as well.

If you can stand nearby, but in a distance where the cat won't attack or hiss perhaps you can toss tasty treats to the cat from a distance without coming close. This is the first step in counter-conditioning. Instead of free feeding you can walk there several times daily and toss the treats and then leave some extra food.

Most medications will cross to the milk. Your best options, if you go that route are fluvoxamine (1-2mg/kg sid) or buspirone 5mg total dose sid-bid. I am not sure how will you get the medications in unless you can mix in wet food and the cat will eat it.

start with counter-conditioning first see if you can get the queen to settle down. Then we need to start socializing the kittens and getting them used to being handled. You can try and lure the queen out of the room or into a carrier with treats, and then handle the kittens. You don't need more than 2-3 minutes per kitten per day in the first week or two

Is it safe for babies if I give her like camomile tea of calming aid from pet store.
I will buytreats for her

Yes that should be fine won't hurt the kittens

I wish you could handle her so we could make sure she doesn't have mastitis ( something causing pain) because that along with the maternal hormones could result in this type of behavior.

Good luck let me know how she does.

If this was helpful and guided you on what to do I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you.

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian
Ok. I will try. I cannot keep the mama and kittens but I'm in toch with a rescue organization and somebody will take the in two weeks. I want to make sure mama and babies will have chance to be adapted after all and try to socialize them as much as I can.
I brought quiet moments from pet store. It's a gel I can add to mamas food. Is it safe for babies
I will rate your answers in the end. Thanks

yes that is safe just has holistic remedies totally safe

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian