Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I think she has constipation. I see very little if anything

I think she has constipation. I see very little if anything in her cat box. Is there any thing I can do or give her to help.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is about 8 years old
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Bella
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?
Customer: A few days ago she was crying and defecated on the carpet. She has never done that.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

When did you last see stool?

Has she been straining since like she needs to go?

Any appetite loss, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
She does not appear to be in pain. Her gums are yellowish brown on the light side and appear to be moist. There is nothing new in the house that she would have eaten. She does not go outside. She has never been outside. When I got her she had no claws. She used to drink lots of water but now I don't see her drinking anything. My other thought about this was maybe she doesn't her cat box anymore and she is hiding it all somewhere in the house.

Hello again.,

Now I have to say that I am quite concerned to hear that Bella has yellow tinted gums. This is because those usually are a sign of liver disease or we can see it when the body attacks/ruptures its own red blood cells. So, that is quite a worrying finding for her, especially as liver issues could explain her increased thirst and could trigger secondary constipation. So, that alone is enough of a reason to have her seen as soon as her vet is open. Of course, if you have any doubts in assessing her gums there, you are welcome to post a photo (using the paperclip icon over the text box) if you would like me to check that for you.

Anyway, for the signs at hand, we do need to check the house to see if she is going anywhere else. Also we need to keep an eye on her appetite as reduction there will reduce the amount of stool they pass. Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** at home to get things moving in that gut, we can start by offering some milk. We do find that milk can be helpful at getting things moving along if she has mild constipation. As well, cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) can be used to get things moving. This is available from the vet or the pet shop. It works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum.

Alternatively, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or mineral oil orally. If she is eating, these can be mixed into her food. If you have to administer via syringe, do take care to avoid aspiration ( since that would cause problems we'd best avoid). Again as GI lubricants, they can just get things moving with more regularity.

Furthermore, it can also be beneficial to increase dietary fiber to keep our wee ones regular. So, you can mix some canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil into some canned food. It will be easier to offer but also will ensure we are getting water into her (as canned food is 35% water). Also do encourage her to drink as constipation can be complicated by dehydration. Make sure that she has fresh water and you can even offer low salt chicken broth or lactose free milk if she isn't drinking well.

While you are doing this, I would advise that you monitor fecal and urinary output (just to make sure her urination isn't an issue). If you try the above but are not seeing feces in the next 12-24 hours, or she begins to vomit, show belly pain, or worsens, then we'd want a check with a local vet. Severe impactions of feces sometimes won’t respond to our gentle colon cleaning treatments, and those cases can require more aggressive treatment (ie enemas under sedation) to clear them out. And of course, once her regular vet is open we'd want them looking into those liver and anemia concerns for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **STARS** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you for your answer. I will take her to the vet as soon as I can get her in.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes for you both,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.