Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cats left lower jaw is suddenly swollen. She is 16. She

has been wanting me to...
My cats left lower jaw is suddenly swollen. She is 16. She has been wanting me to brush and pet her on that side of her face for awhile.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Sassy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: Well, she is having breathing issues and had her lungs aspirants twice in the past two months. All tests including cardio ultra sound, X-rays and analysis of fluid which was clear and labs showed nothing wrong except hypothyroidism. I googled her symptoms and came something came up hypopthyroid. I gave her a dose of her predinisone to see if it would help. They put on on lasik but o stopped giving it to her cause she seemed to be worse off with it and not herself
Maybe she has a bad tooth. Don't know. She has been eating and drinking normally. She doesn't seem to be in pain just more lethargic. She was never diagnosed with cancer although that is what they thought she might have but all tests were negative. She has lost 4 probably weighs 5lbs. I know you are probably going to say take her to be seen asap. How will I know it is an emergency. Also, don't want her to suffer and if it is her time to cross rainbow bridge then I will have to make that heart wrenching decision. How long can she be expected to leave with one collapsed left lobe lung. They don't reinflate do they? That is all the info I have.
She is actually eating her hard crunchy treats now so I find it hard to believe it is a tooth
7/16/2017
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand that, among some other things, Sassy has a swelling on the lower left jaw. Otherwise, she is eating but has lost about 4 lbs recently. Is that correct? Can you also tell me if this swelling is painful when you touch it?

Hello. The swelling underneath jaw does not seem to hurt her. She allowed me to touch and rub her face and underneath. She also was eating her cat treats.
The fact that the swelling is not painful tells us that it is not an abscess - those are painful and cats do not eat well when it is on the face. A bad tooth would also be an abscess if it was causing swelling, so I don't believe it is that either. This means the only likely option is that it is a tumor. Ideally, we would next try to tell if it is part of or separated from the underlying jaw bone. Sometimes, palpating it can determine that, but many times a x-ray is necessary. Finally, in order to get a diagnosis, you would need to have either an aspirate or a biopsy performed of the mass. This will give you a conclusive answer as to what is causing the swelling. This should be done as soon as possible. In the meantime, you can feed as normal or whatever she is willing to eat.
Sometimes going to other sources of "lower quality" canned food like the brand Friskies gets cats interested in eating again. Human baby food poultry source is also helpful for some.
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian
Thank you very much for the information. I will follow up with my kitty's vet asap
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian