Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My 7.5 lb male cat was just given a 75 mg tablet of

Ranitidine. Is this dangerous?...
My 7.5 lb male cat was just given a 75 mg tablet of Ranitidine. Is this dangerous?
7/16/2017
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Ok - waiting

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. We ordinarily dose cats at 1.5 mg per pound of bodyweight with ranitidine (Zantac) so 75 mg would represent a significant overdose

2. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your cat sick immediately and try recover the ranitidine that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

3. However even if you do not manage to induce vomiting then things may not be so bad since this drug has a very high margin of safety in cats, you might perhaps see some degree of gastrointestinal upset but I would not expect worse than that.

4. Of course if more severe symptoms occur then you should have your cat checked over by a local vet without delay. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your cat's condition changes in any way or if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Since 24 hr pet hospital is 1 hr away and hydrogen peroxide 45min RT away, we decided to go with Option 3. So far small amount of vomiting (no pill) and nothing more. He acts normal, even happy - no signs of distress. Since it has been over 2 1/2 hr since he took the pill, I assume he's going to be all right. Thanks for your help.

You are most likely right, that does sound very encouraging.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?