Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat just had a weird episode. Everything was fine, I was her, then she started blinking her eyes really fast. then she

Customer Question
She just had a...

She just had a weird episode. Everything was fine, I was petting her, then she started blinking her eyes really fast. then she ran downstairs like she was afraid of me, and when I followed her downstairs, she ran upstairs, and ran under the couch like she was scared. Now she's lying next to me asleep as if nothig happened.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

Cat is btwn 1 and 2 yrs old. She's a rescue. not spayed yet

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
7/16/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Both complex partial seizure and feline hyperesthesia should be considered when such an episode is seen. Please review feline hyperesthesia here: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/HyperesthesiaSyndrome.cfm?gclid=CjwKEAjwsYW6BRCTzvu5y8DPhi0SJABnGLlHvpLl_sZF6DG9I70lLI7WTVkxH017DayAYXp-yAXtJxoCIM_w_wcB

Seizure disorders in cats present a significant diagnostic challenge and may result from primary intracranial disease or extracranial disease. Structural brain disease has been identified as the most common cause of seizures in cats and includes meningoencephalitis, feline ischemic encephalopathy, neoplasia, trauma, abscess, and vascular disorders. However, idiopathic epilepsy (defined as recurrent seizures in the absence of an underlying cause) is an important and often overlooked cause of seizures in cats, accounting for 25% of cases in one report of 91 cats.

Cats with idiopathic epilepsy tended to be younger than those with structural brain disease, with a mean age of 3.5 years in two publications. Feline hippocampal necrosis should also be considered in the differential diagnosis for a seizing cat. It's characterized by acute onset seizures and behavioral changes in young to middle-aged cats with poor response to conventional anticonvulsant therapy and progressively worsening signs.

When a metabolic or systemic cause is ruled out through a preliminary workup of blood/urine testing, blood pressure testing, and testing for the feline leukemia and feline immunodeficiency virus, advanced imaging (MRI) and cerebrospinal fluid analysis is indicated. Alternatively, a more conservative approach involving the use of anticonvulsive medications is appropriate. Most neurologists will accept one mild seizure monthly before initiating anti-convulsive therapy.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Here's what I'm worried about..I took her to the vet July 5th, and they gave me Frontline for her fleas. I believe I applied it that day, or the next day. Could she possibly be having a reaction to that? I've read about people whose cats have had seizures that happened after applying Frontline :(
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 12 months ago

Probably not although an idiosyncratic (peculiar) reaction to a drug or chemical is always a consideration.

Fipronil is considered a safe insecticide with a wide safety margin. It's not systemically absorbed. (Weil, 1997) Fipronil is detected on the hair shafts but is never detected in the dermis and adipose tissue, suggesting that it is absorbed and accumulated in the sebaceous glands, from which it is slowly released via follicular ducts. It has been tested and can be used in kittens and puppies as young as 8 weeks of age. It is easily removed by bathing in the first 48 hours after application before it is absorbed into the sebaceous glands. (Weil, 1997) In toxicity studies, the application of Frontline® spray to dogs and cats at a dose five times higher than recommended for 6 months did not cause any clinical, biochemical, hematological, or cutaneous abnormalities. (Consalvi, 1996) Oral doses equal to 87 pipettes in dogs and 20 pipettes in cats showed no adverse reactions beyond drooling and occasional vomiting. A few skin hypersensitivity reactions have been reported, most likely to the carrier.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.