Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat is very healthy and we saw the vet this past week -

he confirmed that the kittens...
My cat is very healthy and we saw the vet this past week - he confirmed that the kittens are well formed and a good size. She could be due as early as Sunday evening. today I've noticed that her nose is nearly fuchsia pink in comparison with the normal pale rose. Does this mean anything in terms of figuring out delivery time?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Her name is Frigga. Does the bright pink nose mean that we have a problem?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Frigga?
Customer: She's been well nourished the entire pregnancy and as of Wednesday's xray there are four confirmed kittens. I'm just wondering about the bright pink nose and if it means anything.
7/15/2017
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Congratulations on the kittens soon to be born. How old is Firgga?

A bight pink nose is usually a sign of health, and good circulation. Compare the color of her nose to the color of her gums if you lift her lip; are they about the same color of pink?

It could mean her heart rate or blood pressure is a little increased, getting ready for the impending event. If she is eating well, I would not be worried about this. I would be more worried if her nose looked pale.

Can you post a picture of her?

Not easily. She's back in the room I've prepared for birth and she gets very irritated when I bring her out. Even as well socialized as she is.
Her nose and lips are the same bright pink and her paws were warm. Her belly is significantly bigger than it was yesterday, as if the kittens have dropped.

She may just be getting ready. Can you take her temperature with a rectal thermometer?

I'll go out and get one. What should it be if she's close?

Normal is 101.5. If she is getting close to giving birth, it may be 100 or less. If it is over 103, she may have a fever.

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Thank you for your help. Have a great day

You are welcome; thanks for the great rating. Please let me know when the kittens come and if all goes well!

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian