Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat 9 months old just swallowed a foil ball, at least I

think that is what she...
my cat 9 months old just swallowed a foil ball, at least I think that is what she was choking on, Acting fine now but will she be able to pass it?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Kiki
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?
Customer: nothing that I know of
7/15/2017
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

What size was the foil ball?

small but not real small maybe one inch to one and a half inch diameter
typing will be fine

I am not sure she would pass it because the diameter of her intestines is about an inch.

So you have a few options. You could take her to a vet and they could take an x-ray to see if she ate it. Because the foil would show up on an x-ray.

But then they would send you home and tell you to watch for signs of an obstruction which are vomiting, lack of appetite, pain on abdominal palpation, and lethargy.

So if you want to know if she ate it and if you need to keep a close eye on her then an x-ray is a good idea.

Otherwise you can just observe her for signs of a blockage over the next week.

The blockage could happen later on but normally happens within a week of eating the object.

There is also a chance she will vomit it back up shortly.

Does that make sense to you? Do you have any other questions?

OK if she experiences any of these symptoms, when approximately will they start and how much time does she have to get to vet?

They normally do not start until 12 hours have passed and then they could start a few days after that.

If you notice those symptoms try to get her to the vet the same day.

When the object is stuck it puts abnormal pressure on the intestines and the spot it is stuck can become damaged and have to be removed.

So the sooner you get the object out the better the outcome.

How soon can the symptoms start?

12 hours is the usual starting time if you are asking when the earliest start time is

wow a week seems long! So even if I take her for exam and xray they probably can't tell me if she can or cannot pass it if I'm understanding you correctly?

Yes, that is true.

Unless she ripped up the ball into little pieces and then swallowed it. That should pass.

And that should show on x-rays if it is ripped up.

Versus if it was swallowed whole.

no signs of any shreds of ball anywhere so I don't think that happened, and I never saw her chewing on it either.

Okay. It is tough to say since we were not there. But I was guessing she ate it whole if she did.

Do you have any other questions for me at this point? Or are you all set for now?

ok , so I suppose my only real option is just continue to observe for symptoms. Guess I don't have any other questions, thanks so much for your prompt replies!
-

Yes, that is what I would do. My pets eats crazy things as well. Normally it turns out fine. I just wanted you to be aware of what to watch for. : )

Glad to help!

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian