Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian in Practice 19 Years
2263760

I think my cat may have eaten abut an 8-12 in piece of

I think my cat may have eaten abut an 8-12 in piece of ribbon off of a blouse I have. I didn't see her eat it, but the blouse was hanging on the door and the tie part is chewed off. I have looked around, but can't find it anywhere. This happened yesterday, late afternoon. Lucy has been acting mostly normal since. The only unusual things I've noticed is she has only had one very small bowel movement. Also, this morning she was hacking like she was going to throw up, but didn't throw up anything. Her voice was a bit raspy right after, but sounded normal about 10 mins later.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if May will be able to digest that. How old is May?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is 6 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about May?
Customer: No.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
She has been eating normally and has urinated since. No other unusual behavior.
Thanks.

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Is she eating and drinking as usual? How is her energy level?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Lucy had been acting completely normal otherwise. She still wants to play and has been excited to eat. She has been drinking as much as usual. Right now she's sleeping in the sun. Nothing has been too unusual in her routine.

She sounds stable right now. So if you were to take her to the vet they would just sent you home and tell you to monitor her.

You can check her gum color. Her gums should be pink and moist. If she were to have internal bleeding her gums would turn pale and then she would be very lethargic and not moving around much.

You will also need to watch her for signs of a gastrointestinal obstruction.

Signs are vomiting, lack of appetite, pain on abdominal palpation, and lethargy.

So if you notice those signs she needs to see a vet.

But for now just keep a close eye on her. She may be able to digest and pass the ribbon.

Does that help? Do you have any other questions for me?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok, thank you so much. Reading about linear obstructions online totally freaked me out so this helps... but I'll definitely keep an eye on her.You've definitely helped ease my anxiety. Is there a time frame for how long this could take to pass through her system?

I would keep a close eye on her for a week.

You may not see the ribbon in the stool if it is well digested.

The ribbon could cause an issue down the road but trouble normally happens within a weeks time.

Please let me know if you have other questions.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you so much! From myself and Lucy ��

Prayers sent it will pass without complications. : )

Glad to help.