Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat has a big open sore on his side and their are maggots

all in it JA: I'm sorry...
my cat has a big open sore on his side and their are maggots all in it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: safari and he is around 11 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about safari?
Customer: no
7/15/2017
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. IF YOU GET REQUEST FOR A PHONE CALL, IT IS FROM THE WEBSITE AND NOT MYSELF. JUST IGNORE IT. Maggots are usually not a good sign. It means there was some type of trauma that caused a big wound. It could have been an abscess, a laceration or some other trauma that created dead tissue. Flies infested the wounds and caused the maggots. He needs to be sedated and have the wound cleaned out and get put on antibiotics. That needs to be done ASAP because when maggots have infested a open wound, there is usually concern about an infection getting into the blood stream, which can be life threatening. It will take a 2-3 weeks of wound care to heal if promptly treated. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian