Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat just passed. She was about 9. I adopted her from

My cat just passed...

My cat just passed. She was about 9. I adopted her from humane society when she was 3.5. About 6 years ago.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your cat?

Actually she was acting `punky` for about 2 days. Nothing specific, just wasn't following me around. She was purring and alert then walked into the kitchen, flopped on the floor, urinated and made a yowling. yowling for her was not unheard of, she would sometimes would carry socks in her mouth and make that noise, I would call her name and she would drop it and come right over. But this time I cleaned her up so she wouldn't be sitting in her urine as I was calling the vet. Got an emergency appointment but she passed on the way. Total time was like 20minutes.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Did your cat have a fall?

Not that I know of. She was a cat who jumped or climbed.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Sorry never jumped or climbed

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?

She was a big girl. Like 12 pounds. But not a crazy eater. I also let her and friend self feed.

7/15/2017
Hilary Humm-Beatty
Hilary Humm-Beatty, Cat Veterinarian

Good afternoon. I am Dr. Beatty and I am so sorry to here about your kitty passing. What was her name? Are you wondering what could have happened to her so suddenly?

It is so hard to lose such a beloved companion. Again, I am so sorry for your loss and it is even more difficult sometimes when it is so unexpected. First, if you would like a more definitive cause of death you can ask your vet or the ER vet to have an autopsy done on her which may give you a more definite answer about what happened. If you want this done, you should take her to your clinic or the ER clinic right away and tell them you would like an autopsy. The procedure is time sensitive so do let them know if you would like this done.

It sounds like she passed away from a cardiac event and/or a blood clot from what you describe. Generally these events are very, very sudden without warning and the kitty usually dies very quickly. If it is any consolation at all, if this was the situation with your kitty there would have been very little your veterinarian could have done even if you arrived at the clinic before she passed away.

If you have any other questions or concerns please reply back to this thread. I will be happy to answer other questions you might have even after you have accepted and rated this answer. My goal is to give you excellent service. If you have other question please let me know. Dr. Beatty

-----

Thank you for trusting me with your question today. If the information I have provided has been helpful, please take the time to rate me positively. It is valuable feedback for me and for other pet owners as they seek help for their pets. It is also how the site compensates the experts for their time. Keep in mind you are rating only my help, not any site or interface issues you might have.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. For all.

Here is a great article about sudden death in cats from a reliable site.

http://www.pethealthnetwork.com/cat-health/cat-diseases-conditions-a-z/heart-disease-most-common-cause-sudden-death-cats

You're very welcome and you will be in my thoughts. Dr. Beatty

Hilary Humm-Beatty
Hilary Humm-Beatty, Cat Veterinarian
DrRoyC
Phone call session started