Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I have 2 male 5 year old cats. I was looking at their inner

Hello,I have 2 male 5 year old cats. I was looking at their inner teeth and they don't look great.What would you suggest doing for them?

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now the canines look ok, but your kitty does have quite a bit of tarter on those molars. As well, it does look like it is starting to cause secondary gingivitis. With this all in mind, while brushing his teeth with an enzymatic toothpaste could help the front teeth; the tarter on the back looks too thick for that already. Therefore, it would be ideal to consider a dental cleaning for him. That way we can get these teeth back to square one before they start to rot with this (and then need to be taken out) and it would give us an ideal place to work from with teeth brushing to keep these clean and prevent recurrence for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry for the delay, do cats always need to be put to sleep for the cleaning or can they remain awake?
Hi Dan,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Good morning,
They tend to need to be anesthetized for dentals. There are some vets that will crack tarter off when the are conscious but that can be very stressful for the kitties and actually can damage the teeth. So a proper scale and polish would need an anesthesia for them.
Best wishes,
Dr. B