Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat he is 13 yr old male cat, he all in a sudden urine a

Customer Question
lot, 3x more than usual...
my cat he is 13 yr old male cat, he all in a sudden urine a lot, 3x more than usual and his urine has big brown spot in the center, do i need to take him in? He also threw up 2x yesterday...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: his appetite was low, he has been on homemade diet baked chicken, 2 days ago to entice him i added gizzard in his meal, he loves it, but about 5 days ago, I mixed canned food from freaskie, maybe the change of diet makes him sick?
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Charlie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Charlie?
Customer: He was diagnosed with kidney stone, his vet prefers not to operate on him for his safety. but recommended him on CD diet, I was concerned about high sodium content, i did a consultation with Dr Pierson for homemade diet, he was doing better, then just most recently his appetite went down again... Dr Peirson saw the Xray did not agree with the diagnosis. She didn't think Charlie has kidney stone.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/14/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Hilary Humm-Beatty, Cat Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Hilary Humm-Beatty
Hilary Humm-Beatty, Cat Veterinarian

Good afternoon. I am Dr. Beatty and happy to help you today. Please be patient while I type my response...it will take me a few minutes.

I think it is definitely possible that the addition of the gizzards and the Friskies could have upset his stomach and caused some vomiting. You are so observant to notice how his urine has changed over the last few days. This is such an important observation in an older cat and is a really significant observation. I'm so glad you have noticed it so quickly. The good news is that he is still urinating. Any time a cat is NOT able to urinate it is an emergency! It is possible that you are seeing blood in the urine with the dark area in the center. This could indicate an infection or inflammation in the urine. It is possible that the vomiting could also be related to the urinary issue. Other causes of what you are seeing with the urine could be a change in kidney values (early onset kidney disease), increase blood sugar (diabetes). If he is not eating well and vomiting today I would highly recommend that you have him checked today since the weekend is approaching. It could help you avoid an ER clinic visit. If he seems to feel ok today then I would try to get him checked out by Monday at the latest. My inclination is for him to be checked today if possible because I would hate for you to have to find ER clinic over the weekend. Dr. Beatty

If you have any follow up questions, please respond to this thread and I will be happy to answer additional questions when I am logged in. You can follow up even after you have accepted and rated my help. Dr. Beatty

-----

Thank you for trusting me with your questions today. If the information I have provided has been helpful to you, please take the time to rate my help positively. It is valuable feedback for me and for other clients who are seeking help for their pets. It is also how the site compensates the experts for their time spent on cases. Keep in mind you are rating only my help...not site or interface issues.

Hilary Humm-Beatty
Hilary Humm-Beatty
Hilary Humm-Beatty, Cat Veterinarian