Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Since being boarded at my veterinarian's office for one week

Since being boarded at my...
Since being boarded at my veterinarian's office for one week about a month ago while we were on vacation, my cat has lost her interest in life. She barely eats, will not leave her small spot in the house and has no interest in anything whatsoever. She has been back to the vet and they have run tests for live, kidney, urinary infection, etc., but can find nothing wrong. She stopped using the litter box about 6 months ago, so we have had many tests run for that as well. She also has allergies and has been given Apoquel with success, but I am wondering if that has harmed her or she is dealing with dementia. She is 8, has always lived in our home and had the same veterinarian. Do you have any ideas?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is this new behavior?
Customer: The litterbox issue has been going on for 6 months, but the "living in small spaces", and not socializing/eating much has been going on for one month, since her boarding experience at the veterinarian office. We decided to board her while we were on vacation since she had litterbox issues and was taking the Apoquel daily for her allergies (skin).
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Gizmo
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?
Customer: She does eat Hills Science Diet Prescription Z/D food for the allergies. I am also wondering if that is not a good food for her. She has been on that about 3 months. She is also down about 3 pounds.
Answered in 1 day by:
7/16/2017
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

I am sorry for the delay in someone getting to your question.

Has Gizmo had any imaging of her abdomen or chest ( chest X-rays or abdominal ultrasound).

At 8 years of age she should not be having cognitive dysfunction.

Have they tried putting her on some kitty prozac for the urinary issues? There have been many studies linking low levels of stress with recurrent and painful urinary tract spasms (it hurts to urinate and the cat starts to associate their litter box with pain so they begin avoiding it). You can also add in Feliway which is calming feline pheromones plug ins as well, but we need to get to the bottom of the listlessness and anorexia.

Thank you for your reply. She has not had any imaging done at all. Since we are dealing with skin allergies AND litter box issues, the focus has been on those two issues. I talked about Kitty Prozac, but they seem to not want to go that route. I did however, get some Composure chews from Petco, which seem to be helping a little with the skin issues, and she did poop in her litterbox this weekend and tried to urinate in it, but hit the edge and the urine went on the floor, so she seems to be getting a little better. I also took her off the Hills Prescription Diet Z/D because that seemed to make her EXTREMELY lethargic, but did help wonders for the skin allergies, plus it is extremely high in Carbohydrates, which is leading her straight into a diabetic future. I was wondering if there is also a better food for her.
There is also amitriptyline which can help and be a little easier to dose for anxiety related urinary issues and your veterinarian may feel more comfortable with this
Medication instead for anxiety. You can try derm defense which is also
Made by Hills Science diet, but the diabetes risk is really only higher if the cat is obese or overweight.

Good luck with Gizmo

Another diet you can try is called Hydrolyzed protein good for skin and food allergies made b y Royal Canin

Adding in omega 3 supplements can also help with skin issues and improve cognitive ability. There are select anti oxidants that contain these and also help scavenge free radicals from the body. These are the ones I use and recommend for my patients https://www.chewy.com/vetoquinol-select-antioxidant/dp/109700

If this was helpful and guided you on what to do I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you.

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Meghan Denney
Gizmo is doing better, but unfortunately only wants to be outside now. She gets upset now when I bring her inside. Her personality is coming back and I am monitoring her skin condition. I will be adding in some Omega 3s as you suggested. Thank you so much for your help.

You are very welcome

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian