Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing veterinarian with over 20 years experience in a mixed animal practice.
75966804

An alpaca with ulcerated eye. The breeder she came from says

Customer Question

An alpaca with ulcerated eye. The breeder she came from says it's common to get foxtails in their eyes and the eye goes cloudy. We followed his instructions with cleaning and applying Neosporin. Today we cleaned with saline and applied Tobramycin drops and erythromycin cream recommended by my GP. We're worried about her eye, and if we need a vet.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the alpaca?
Customer: no, a healthy girl, approx. 10 or 11 yrs old
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 3 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

An ulcerated eye is a very serious situation. Your alpaca is not only in significant pain, she may be in danger of losing the eye. I am glad that you switched to the Tobramycin & Erythromycin ophthalmics, as the Neosporin was a waste of time, but I would highly recommend having a veterinarian evaluate the eye. Depending on how bad the infection is, your veterinarian may recommend enucleation, or removing the globe, continuing with your antibiotics, or recommending several other medications & treatments to hopefully save the eye & her eyesight. Yes, many grazing animals will pick up foxtails that wind up irritating, scratching & damaging the cornea, but the breeder should have had the eye evaluated & started on an appropriate treatment immediately, not just using over the counter neosporin ( which should not be used in the eye ),

I hope this makes sense & you find the information helpful. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr Linda replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Linda