Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My cat gave birth to three kittens. The last was born 24

Customer Question

My cat gave birth to three kittens. The last was born 24 hours ago. My cat still seems to be bleeding from her vagina intermittently. Whats going on?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 3 months ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you.....can you tell me about how much blood you are seeing and is it bright red?

Expert:  Dr B replied 3 months ago.

are you there?

Expert:  Dr B replied 3 months ago.

I am waiting on you to answer so I can speak with you...are you there?

Expert:  Dr B replied 3 months ago.

Ok, since you are not responding I will leave you an answer....it is perfectly normal for queens especially with their first litter to bleed for 48 hours and sometimes longer. After 48 hours the bleeding should start to slow down and gradually decrease. I would recommend waiting about 1 month and then go ahead and have her spayed so you don't risk pyometra which can be life threatening......which actually is life threatening. As long as she continues to eat, drink,and act normally the bleeding is normal. If she starts to bleed profusely you should have her seen. I hope this helps.Sincerely, DRB

Please give me a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have.

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

Expert:  Dr B replied 3 months ago.

If you do not have additional questions I would appreciate a positive rating. Thank you very much! DRB