Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Kingsland Blvd Animal Clinic
94981754

About 2 wks ago my 6 wk old kitten got accidentally slammed

Customer Question

Hey about 2 wks ago my 6 wk old kitten got accidentally slammed in the door .. I took her to the animal hospital the doc said the x Ray showed no sign of any fractures gave her a steroid shot and sent home some meds to give her every 9 hrs... still no change .. can you tell me what I need to to help keep her dry ? She eats goods...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Luna, it's sad to see her like cause she's just a baby.. I wanna keep her but I don't know what I need to do .. I ordered some pampers for her but they are too big..
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Luna?
Customer: Her. Bottom is raw and she has diarrhea
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Meghan Denney replied 3 months ago.

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

Is she fecal incontinent or urinary incontinent?

Is she able to walk?

Does she posture when she is urinating or defecating ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I would say she do posture. And she walks using her front legs not using the hind legs. She eats good , she has diarrhea and her bottom looks raw.. so I googled some things to do I wipe her with peperation h wipes and spray her with hydrocortisone spray.

The not using the hind legs really concerns me. At 6 weeks of age fractures can be really hard to see and given her symptoms I would recommend re taking X-rays now that it has been some time and see if there is bone damage that maybe was just too early to see.

If she cannot use her hind legs then she does have neurologist damage that we need to consider.

A and D ointment works well, but she should not be having diarrhea as a result of the injury. We need to get her on a feline probiotic and also call your veterinarian back and let them know what is going on. Constant diarrhea is horrible for all involved (especially your kitten). There are medications to help diarrhea in cats that we need to start using with her so her rectal and vulvar area do not get more inflamed than they already are.

I would also recommend looking into veterinarian acupuncture to try and get some neurological function back. At 2 weeks we should be seeing some improvement and since we are not the prognosis for gaining use of her hind legs gets smaller every day and acupuncture can help with this.

My recommendations are that she needs to be rechecked by your veterinarian and re take X-rays to see where she is at ( there are many times in young animals and humans where the fractures are not evident immediately and we need to check for this)

At her recheck appointment we need to get her medications for the diarrhea and discuss how you are going to manage a cat who cannot use her hind legs at all. There is physical therapy to start and you may discuss with your regular veterinarian getting your kitten to a specialist for a consult on what can be done i.e.. surgery, physical therapy, rehab, acupuncture etc.

I am sorry your little one is going through this.

I hope this helps with the kitten.

If this was helpful and guided you on what to do I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you.

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Meghan Denney