Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat is holding her one eye shut at times and

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: My cat is holding her one eye shut at times and squinting...not sure if there's anything I can do to help or take her to the vet..
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Harper
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Harper?
Customer: I don't think so. She's otherwise healthy...
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
You can just type it pls if you wouldn't mind! :)

I'm sorry to hear of this with Harper. You've described blepherospasm (squinting) which indicates considerable pain in our cats. Considerations include a foreign body in that eye such as a foxtail if Harper is allowed outside (please see image of foxtail below), an infectious conjunctivitis due to the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) or the bacteria Mycoplasma or Chlamydophila, corneal trauma in the form of a scratch, abrasion, or ulcer, or even deeper problems inside the globe of Harper's eye. It's best that her vet attend to her at your earliest convenience if only because eyes can "go south" in a hurry. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thanks so much! She's an inside cat but I'll call the vet now...thanks again :)

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.