Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

He is 3 years old now. And he's never been fixed. I plan to

Customer Question

He is 3 years old now. And he's never been fixed. I plan to have him fixed, will that solve the spraying and peeing everywhere?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Punkin
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Punkin?
Customer: I am getting ready to move as well and the new house doesn't have any outside animals like the one I'm in now. I need help stopping the spraying and peeing, as well as advice to stop the scratching of everything
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 months ago.
Hi. My name is***** you for your question. Will neutering him stop him from inappropriate urinating and spraying? Honestly it most likely won't stop it in totality, but it may help quite a bit. Getting him neutered will reduce testosterone and some of the territoriality nature he has, but for some it can be a learned behavior. The good news is that the new place won't have any residual odors form urine / spraying to attract him. I would absolutely recommend neutering him as it has the chance of really helping.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
how else could I stop the behavior? Also how can I keep him from scratching everything? He has scratching posts, but continues to scratch door facings and walls anything really?
As far as the scratching, you can have plenty of scratching posts around to encourage use of them. You can have various ones from vertical to flat on the floor. You can use attractants on them like cat nip to encourage their use. The other option is to consider declawing him. As far as the inapropriate urination, this can be a challenge and one that some male cats never resolve. There is no specific cure for it, but neutering is a huge step needed to try and improve / resolve it. I would have multiple litter boxes around the house. I would use a product called Feliway in the new house to reduce stress when the move happens. It is a feline specific claiming pheromone product.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Isn't declawing more harmful than not? I mean he is strictly a houscat never goes outside so his safety wouldn't be an issue. And he has 2 litter boxes now. And it is very rare that he will urinate in the box. He urinates on my bed all the time. It's so infuriating
Declawing a cat is the controversial subject now. Personally I have 2 of my 3 cats declawed. It can be done humanely and has good results. There are good texhniques for doing it with minimal discomfort. Local analgesic nerve blocks combined with oran pain medications can make it safe. Some people and vets don't believe in doing them. Personally I don't believe in ear cropping or tail docking as they are pure cosmetic procedures. A declaw surgery can be justified as it can keep a cat in a house where they are clawing things up and an owner is considering giving them up or keeping them outside

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?