Dr. F
Dr. F, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian/Owner at Egan Fife Animal Hospital
99029658

My 19 year old cat was diagnosed hyperthyroid about a month

My 19 year old cat was diagnosed hyperthyroid about a month or two ago, and is on a restricted diet, in hopes of controlling the condition. But the shedding is getting to be too much for my allergies. I comb her once a day, wetting her down with a wet towel first, so the fur will clump instead of fly around. Still she sheds. I am cleaning the house more often. But I am coughing from the fur enough that I am beginning to have a sore throat all the time. I am using all the med’s I am permitted. Other than cleaning more often in the house, there’s not a great way to close off any more rooms from her access. So I am wondering, if there is a more effective way to remove the shedding fur without causing problems for her? Thanks.
Thank you for joining us on Just Answer. My name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian and practice owner. Could you please tell me what medications she is on as well as the prescribed diet.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
She us not on any other medications. That's the way the hills science y/d diet works.
Sorry for the delay, sick child at home needing my attention. I mistakenly thought you were talking about the cat when you said you were using the max medication but rather it is for your own allergies.
There are a couple suggestions I have for you. Starting her on a pure omega 3 fatty acid at a dose of 60-100 mg/kg of combined DHA/EPA should decrease the shedding.
Also there is a rinse you can use on her called Allerpet C which helps greatly with pet dander reduction. Between those two things I hope you find some relief.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you very much! Is the omega a pill? Any other form?
You can find it as a liquid, my favourite is Ascenta which is available at GNC. I hope you are able to put this plan into effect and get you both some relief! Thank you again for joining us on JustAnswer. If you have any follow up questions please ask and if you are satisfied with my service please leave me a positive rating as that is how we are awarded on the site as experts.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you!!