Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Our 4 month old kitten has a red eyelid and fluids coming

Customer Question

Our 4 month old kitten has a red eyelid and fluids coming out of his right eye. He's squinting and blinking. He's been sneezing all of a sudden. His nose is wetter than usual. Otherwise he has normal energy level and activity. It's been 24 hours of symptoms.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: I have a picture if that would help.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kitten?
Customer: Findlay!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Findlay. In most cases, sneezing and/or ocular discharge represent infection with the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) in cats which usually goes into remission unaided within 1-3 weeks. The bacteria Chlamydophila and Mycoplasma can be found concomitantly with FHV-1 or be sole infectious agents. These, too, are expected to go into remission unaided but if my patient doesn't show a positive change within 7-10 days of the onset of symptoms, I'll consider prescribing doxycycline - the antibiotic of choice for addressing those bacteria. It’s not unreasonable to also initiate therapy with the over the counter Terramycin ophthalmic ointment should conjunctivitis arise (as it has) dosed at thrice daily to each eye for a minimum of 10 days. This ointment contains the antibiotics oxytetracycline and polymyxin-B and can be found in many pet/feed stores or online. It’s ideal for addressing the bacterial infections. FHV-1, however, doesn't respond to antibiotics. Severe FHV-1 infections might be addressed with the systemic antiviral drug famciclovir and an ophthalmic antiviral drop or ointment containing cidofovir. These products need to be compounded by a veterinary formulating pharmacy. Cats who become inappetent will benefit from the administration of supplemental fluids and electrolytes given subcutaneously by needle and perhaps a syringeable and palatable convalescent food.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.