Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

He's suffering from what we think is a middle ear infection.

He is receiving Tresaderm drops...
He's suffering from what we think is a middle ear infection. He is receiving Tresaderm drops 2x a day and as of today is also receiving Orbax. He is very unsteady on his feet due to balance issues, and is staying curled up in a ball in his bed. I am concerned because his breathing seems rapid, and I don't know why.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations cats can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: He is a cat I rescued a couple weeks ago from dire circumstances living outside--fleas, mites, intestinal parasites, but all that has been addressed successfully.
7/9/2017
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Cat Veterinarian

Greetings, I’m Dr. Peck, a small animal veterinarian in general practice. Hopefully I might be of some help. One moment while I reply…

Was he seen by a veterinarian today? ...Given that he started receiving the Orbax today. If so, did they have any concern regarding his breathing, any abnormalities identified with auscultation of his heart/lungs?

they saw him today because I was concerned that his balance issues were getting worse. He did not have any rapid breathing before we left for the vet. he has no other issues in terms of side effects, I am wondering if this just might be a stress related thing, given the fact that he was poked and prodded at the vet today, and then when he came home I gave him the Orba as well as the Tresaderm drops in his ears. I know cats want to be left alone when they're not feeling well, perhaps it was just a stress reaction?

I agree under these circumstances that stress seems a likely culprit here. I don't think it's the orbax. So long as his gums are pink and he's not open mouthed panting in respiratory distress I would suggest continuing with supportive care and the orbax. It will take time for the orbax to work if it is an inner ear infection susceptible to orbax. Cats can also sometimes get polyps that may effect them in this way - much harder to diagnose and treat. I'd continue as you are at this time.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions, simply write me back! Otherwise, please be sure to kindly rate using the stars, so that I receive credit for helping with your question today. Thanks! – Dr. Peck.

Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Cat Veterinarian
Alright, thank you for calming my worries. He goes back to the vet on Monday for his scheduled follow-up, I will mention it to them as well.

You are very welcome. I know it's difficult but these cases take patience, they are often having vestibular balance issues for many days or weeks before resolution when there is an inner ear issue. Cats can be finicky little buggers with these problems sometimes, and it gets us all worried! Thanks for rating. :) - Dr. Peck

Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Cat Veterinarian