Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

We have a Dauschund male that is on Lantus for diabetes. His

Hi We have a Dauschund...
Hi We have a Dauschund male that is on Lantus for diabetes. His one eye has turned white grey. What is the cause of this ? what treatment is required and would anything help change this or is this a natural progression of old age ? Thanks for any advice.
7/6/2017
Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian

Hi I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about Harry's troubles. When a dog's eye turns white or grey, it is usually due to cataracts. Cataracts are an opacity in the lens of the eye that can cause an obstruction to their vision. They can be a due to a normal progression of age but also seem to occur with a higher incidence in dogs with diabetes. It would be best to see your vet for a definitive diagnosis as there is another aging process called nuclear sclerosis which usually doesn't cause any vision deficits and can be distinguished with an eye exam.

Cataracts are often treated with surgical removal by a veterinary ophthalmologist or are left alone. Typically if left alone, they will eventually lead to blindness in that eye. It would be best to see your veterinarian to have Harry's eyes examined and make sure his diabetes is under control.

I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!

Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Thank you Dr. Bonk for your response.
Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian