Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Cat has a large hematoma in her ear, and the ear itself is almost swollen shut, I had it drained on Friday but it's now

She has a large hematoma...
She has a large hematoma in her ear, and the ear itself is almost swollen shut, I had it drained on Friday but it's now larger than ever, she was given a antibiotic shot that lasts 2 weeks and drops for her ear.My regular vet is out of office till tomorrow, should I take her some where else or wait? I'm extremely worried her ear will be damaged
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: She has infections in both, the hematoma is only in one, we tried to drain it ourselves but got very little out
7/5/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your cat. As you've seen, these can't simply be drained. They need to be lanced and either a drain installed (a teat tube, e.g.) or enough tissue removed so that the skin can't close up too quickly which then doesn't allow fluid to build up again. Another 24 hours won't be critical; please present her to her regular vet tomorrow. The vet will admit your cat for surgery. There are many techniques used to address hematomas and the vet will pick the one he/she is most comfortable performing and has the best success rate for the vet. Please don't attempt to drain the pinna (ear flap) yourself. That risks introducing infection into the hematoma. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Ok thank you , I will wait and take her tomorrow to my vet.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
sorry to be slow getting back to you. My vet drained the ear , and took tissue out, on Friday. She has a hard time coming out of the anesthetic. She also very frustrated with the cone on her head, but I'm very relieved that her ear will look mostly normal. Thank you for explaining thr procedure to me, because I was quite anxious about her being disfigured.

No worries. Thank you for the update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian