Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

13 year old barn cat. One of the ears is a cauliflower ear

13 year old barn cat...
13 year old barn cat. One of the ears is a cauliflower ear from a previous fight. Currently there is yellow puss come out of that ear. There is a lump below that. Also the eye one that side had mucous coming out. What can we do?
7/3/2017
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Cat Veterinarian

Greetings, I'm Dr. Peck, a small animal veterinarian in general practice. Hopefully I might be of some help.

This sounds like an abscess. I would definitely suggest you get him in to your local vet to be seen so that he can be started on some prescription medications. For now, if he will let you gently clean the area and apply a warm wet rag (warm compress to bring blood flow to the area better and encourage his body to fight the infection) this is the best you can do. If there is an open sore you can apply topical neosporin to it. If he is scratching at the area and you have an e-collar ("cone") then go ahead and put that on him to keep him from causing further damage. But ultimately you need to get him in to get him on either oral or injectable antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory, and likely a topical ointment that is safe to go into his ear canal. This isn't an emergency, but the sooner the better. If it has to wait a day or two just keep cleaning and warm compressing it every 8 hours or so and offer some tasty canned food to encourage him to eat well. It's possible this is from another fight or related to the prior one. Sometimes their ears heal in such a way as to predispose them to ear infections which can turn into abscesses like this sometimes when they are severe.

I hope this is helpful to you. If you have followup questions simply write me back. Otherwise, please kindly rate using the stars. Thanks! - Dr. Peck.

Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Cat Veterinarian
Thank you for the help! She is important part of the family and with the time and holiday we were concerned on what to do.

You are very welcome! Thanks for rating, and good luck with her. :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Samuel Peck
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Cat Veterinarian