Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I noticed live worms in my cat's feces that was a day old.

I noticed live worms in...
I noticed live worms in my cat's feces that was a day old. They were white and were in the middle of the stool when it broke apart. They were small white worms that wiggled. Similar worms were near his food bowl under a towel -- I sometimes keep his food bowl on the porch outside on top of a clean towel. When I moved the towel to shake it out, several little rice like worms were underneath moving around. What kind worms are these, and how do I treat my Persian cat for them?
7/2/2017
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

thank you

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. This sounds very much like tapeworm segments, they are about the size of a grain of rice and you can sometimes see them move about. Check out this photo : LINK

2. If this is the case then it is usually no cause for concern, usually these will not affect Pumkin very much and it can be treated with simple oral medication which your vet can supply or over the counter medication from a good pet store. Try something like Tradewinds which is now an over the counter product and is the same as Droncit which before you could only get from the vet, it contains Praziquantel. I have prescribed loads of droncit over the last twenty eight years and found it to be safe and effective. It would be wise to treat your cat on a regular basis for both tape and round worms, if you treat your cat for both then you will take care of almost all intestinal worms in any case.

3. Make sure your cat is free from fleas as they can be part of the tape worm life cycle but they can catch them from eating rodents as well.

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Pumpkin's condition changes in any way or if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards ,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Thanks. Yes, the tapeworms look exactly like what I saw. Explains why he's so hungry. Will treat for fleas and pick up meds you suggested. Do tapeworms also cause constipation and stool that is square? Or is the square stool caused by hair balls? Also do tapeworms cause vomiting bc pumpkin vomited this morning.

Actually tape worms very rarely cause any adverse symptoms, many cats can have quite a large worm burden and the owners will be unaware of it.

You are most likely seeing hair balls and this can cause minor vomiting as well ...

Regards ,

Dr Scott

Thank you! I'm relieved.

No problem, very glad to be advising you and thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Hi Petra,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Pumpkin. How is everything going?