Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have 2 cats and they both have small scabs on their neck…

I have 2 cats...

I have 2 cats and they both have small scabs on their neck and head They are both inside cats

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

Blacky is 14 yrs old and festus is 5 yrs old

6/28/2017
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about Blacky and Festus. Small scabs on the head can be due to an allergic reaction; do they seem itchy at all?

It can be a food allergy (have you change foods recently?) or to things in the environment. I know they are indoors, and I know you are probably not seeing fleas, but I would still consider using a flea product on them. If this is a reaction to some kind of insect bite, using something like Frontline should help.

Scabs on the head can also be from the cats scratching at their ears, which can be from ear infection or (again) allergies. It would not be ear mites, unless a cat with ear mites has recently been in contact with them.

Please let me know if this is helpful and if you have more questions.

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thanks for the good rating!