Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

If diabetes and kidney problems ruled out by vet but he did

have respiratory problem and got...
if diabetes and kidney problems ruled out by vet but he did have respiratory problem and got antibiotics. on next visit, what would be next test to do if he has 6 of 8 symptons on your list of pancreatic problem. he is 10 yrs old. thank you for any insight since it seems like many vets like to run many test and no diagnosis.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help with the diabetes. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Junior!
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Junior?
Customer: He has had the Leukemia test and basic shots. He has had the respiratory thing most every spring and fall. About 9 months ago, he suddenly had problem walkin as i came up stairs and i helped him lay down and pet him him awhile. i went to kitchen and was calling vet and noticed he was acting better...i assumed he maybe fell off the entertainment center layed all the time and could have injured pancreas?
6/25/2017
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry you are worried about Junior having pancreatic disease. It is unlikely he would injure his pancreas in a fall without harming other body parts, since the pancreas is protected deep inside him.

There is a simple blood test for pancreatitis called a cPL test your vet should be able to do.

What are his symptoms?

How old is Junior? We do not usually see pancreatitis in cats that are young.

symptoms are lethargy and sleeping alot, more water than normal, seems dehydrated, warm body temperature. he is 10 years old.

With pancreatitis, cats are usually eating less, and losing weight. I see diabetes and kidney disease have been ruled out. Has a urinalysis been done? Was his thyroid level checked?

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for the positive rating. Please let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian