Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat has an inner ear infection and I can't afford the vet…

My cat has an...

My cat has an inner ear infection and I can't afford the vet bill right now. Is there anything I can do to help her?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations cats can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name and age?

Khloe. She was feral. I think she's around 2. She isn't very polite! I have some keflex for humans. We went to the emergency pet clinic a week ago. They gave her a shot and I thought she was feeling better. Last night the same symptoms returned

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Khloe?

I think I covered everything....

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
6/23/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you tell me what symptoms you're seeing?

What did they diagnose her with at the ER?

Do you have any ear medication on hand?

Is she inside only or inside-outside?

Like I said same symptoms as last Saturday when I took her to the vet. Sleeping constantly, no eating or drinking. Walking crooked. Falling over. Eyes dialed and shaky. They said inner ear infection and have her and antibiotic shot. She is inside only.

Unfortunately the keflex is unlikely to be of much use as it tends to come in much higher concentrations for dosing than cats can safely take. Are you able to medicate her ears? Did they prescribe/recommend any ear flush?

I have nothing. She's going to dehydrate soon. How am I supposed to help her!?

There are a few approaches I would take.

First things first, it's important to know that if this is an inner ear infection she will likely need to be on systemic antibiotics. If the shot did not help, you'll need to talk to your vet about oral medications. Sometimes more than one is needed. Medicating the ears can also help, depending on the location of the infection. Many vets, once they have examined and treated a cat, will prescribe additional medications without a recheck. I would ask if this clinic will permit that. If so, I'd request oral antibiotics and ear medication, an example would be oral baytril with mometamax ear medications. If the option exists in the future, packing the ears with medicated ointment may be a consideration, especially if she's difficult to medicate.

Second, I would begin flushing the ears daily if she will permit this. This is my favorite flush: https://www.chewy.com/t8-keto-topical/dp/119258?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=T8%20Keto&gclid=CjwKEAjw-LLKBRCdhqmwtYmX93kSJAAORDM6E3WyiyLdAszByTMuSI-poN_ZCEOv24qwQaTcs4vPnRoCLXnw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

If she is unwilling to eat or drink, you will need to syringe water and feed her. Try pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. You can also use KMR, as well.

She's feral and I'm pregnant. How am I going to hold this cat down to do this with the water without getting hurt?

You may need to employ a second set of hands and gloves. Honestly, she truly needs to be treated by a vet. Have you looked in to any financial aid organizations such as those below? If she cannot be handled or medicated safely, you're going to have a real time doing so without putting yourself at risk. I would explore these routes. At very least, the vet's office can give SQ fluids and you can try higher palatability foods to see if they help. Unfortunately, there's only so much we can do at home with feral animals.

Red Rover: https://redrover.org/find-financial-assistance-veterinary-care

Best friends: http://bestfriends.org/resources/financial-aid-pets

AVMA: https://www.avma.org/public/YourVet/Pages/Financial-assistance-for-veterinary-care-costs.aspx

HSUS: http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_veterinary_care.html

PAWS: https://www.paws.org/cats-and-dogs/other-services/help-with-veterinary-bills/

Your dogs friend: http://yourdogsfriend.org/we-recommend/need-help-paying-vet-bills/

AFRP: https://www.animalfriendsrescue.org/financialassistance.html

Speaking for Spot: http://speakingforspot.com/?p=Financial%20Assistance%20for%20Veterinary%20Care

Checking in. How is Khloe today?

The vet called in an antibiotic but I honestly don't think it's an ear infection at all. It's almost like she has a stroke or a seizure, goes down for about 24 hours and then slowly comes back to life....we are going to do some testing in about 2 weeks...hopefully I'll know more then.

Excellent. I hope whatever is found is easily treated. Let me know if I can help further.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse