Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Fonzie just had three boughts of diarrhea. As I mentioned,

Hi Dr. B.Fonzie just had...
Hi Dr. B.Fonzie just had three boughts of diarrhea. As I mentioned, the only notable changes in his meds are the double dose of Furosemide and new Aldactone. (We don't have the Dalteparin yet.) All started yesterday morning, so that makes 3 doses in total over a day and half. (I also added Omega 3 Fish oil once a day for his joints.)The cardiologist told me some cats can have GI upset from the Aldactone. I think this is the culprit. He did not eat very much at all last night, which is very unusual. He seems down today, and now has diarrhea (somewhat mucousy with a little tinge of fresh blood).I wrote to the cardiolgist, but probably won't hear back from her for a while. What shall we do?I'd like to discontinue the Aldactone until I hear back from her. I don't think the Aldactone is essential at this point, since we did double the dose of Furosemide. And, shall I treat with the Pro-Kolin+, or is stopping the Aldactone enough on its own?(Also, I was given a probiotic while Fonzie was on antibiotics in the past. It is called Synbiotic D-C- highly concentrated probiotic and prebiotic. Considering all the meds he's on, shall I restart and keep him on this long term?)Poor guy is not having a good day.
Also...one more question... We should start the Dalteparin tonight. He took it before like a champ with no noticeable side effects. Shall I go ahead and start it this evening? Or, maybe because he's not feeling well, we can wait a day or so.I don't think it will hurt to start tonight, but I don't like giving him new maintenance meds if he's not feeling so great. Again, I don't believe it is absolutely essential, but it is important.
6/22/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hi again,

Yes, Aldactone can cause vomiting, appetite loss, and diarrhea for stomach sensitive kitties. So, we would need to give it a break for the moment and may need his cardiologist to reconsider using it or modifying the dose. Though in the meantime, if he is very loose (the diarrhea likely irritated his colon to cause that bit of blood), then we can stop the medication and it would do no harm to use the Pro-Kolin. Though if he isn't very loose we could just use the Synbiotic D-C and see how we go. And we' should be able to use the Dalteparin as planned for him.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Alright. Sounds like a plan!Thanks Dr. B!

Perfect. :)

Let me know how everything goes.

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Hi Dr. B.My little guy is feeling better. I gave him a dose of Pro-Kolin+ after your reply, then the probiotic this morning. He has not had any diarrhea or passed a stool since yesterday. So, I'll just wait and see, but I think he's ok. Appetite is better today.The cardiologist recommends we stop for 3 days, then try again with one dose per day with food. Considering his reaction after 3 doses, I'm not so sure he'll be able to tolerate it.Thanks again!

Good afternoon,

That is grand, I am glad to hear that he is feeling better. As well, that does sound reasonable to try to give us a chance to see if we can use Aldactone with him. But any of those signs again and it would be best to find an alternative for him.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Hi Laurene,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Fonzie. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Hi Dr. B.Fonzie has pretty much recovered from his Aldactone sensitivity. But, I have not yet retried with once a day.His tummy still isn't totally fine. He is throwing up, just after eating, once a day. This happens from time to time, but it certainly picked up after the Aldactone. Maybe some Omeprazol or sucralfate or just wait it out?And, he is not pooping regularly yet. He is passing stool maybe once every two days, instead of his usually once a day. (This could also be from the increase in Furosemide, making his poops dryer and harder). I think this is somewhat uncomfortable because I have found little foot prints in the box with no urine or stool. So, he's going in, but not making anything. Urine output is normal. I don't have him on any stool softener at this point.Otherwise, he is eating well and much happier. He goes in today for a quick check of the pericardial effusion and a blood test (it's been a while).

Hello again,

Just catching up on all my messages (of course answered your one from today first since it looks like I just missed you). If he has harder stools from the fluid uptake secondary to the Furosemide, OTC cat hairball and canned pumpkin can help keep him regular. Of course, if he continues to struggle, we'd lean more to a small dose of GI lubricants for him as oppose to stool softeners (as few are kitty safe).

All the best,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian