Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I put lavender oil on his ear to remove a tick. His ear is a…

Customer Question
I put lavender oil...

I put lavender oil on his ear to remove a tick. His ear is a little red and swollen. I washed it all off. Will he be ok?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

Franky is 6

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Franky?

He just adopted us. We got all his shots

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/20/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand you removed a tick from Franky's ear recently, but it is now a little red and swollen. Is the area that is red just the spot where the tick was located, or is the entire ear red and swollen?

Also, you may receive a request for a phone call. This is automatically offered by the website, but you do not have to accept it. I can not stop the offer from being made, but I am able to answer your question with the chat box only if you prefer it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
His entire ear. I washed the oil off. I think he may have absorbed some. Is lavendar oil ok for cats?
Lavender is definitely safe to use for cats, so there is no toxicity here. It may have irritated the skin a little, or the inflammation from the tick may have spread to the entire ear. As long as she is not excessively scratching the ear or head shaking a lot then she will be OK to just monitor it. If it is from one of the things I mentioned then it should resolve within 24-48 hours.
Please let me know if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, I would appreciate very much a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. I will be standing by if you have other questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry