Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Last night I pulled a patch of hair that I thought had glue

Customer Question

Last night I pulled a patch of hair that I thought had glue in it off of my cats left front elbow? The hair and skin came completely off, there is muscle showing now
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Yoko, she is 6 or 7 months,old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Yoko?
Customer: No
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Depending upon the size, I might leave it open to lavage with over the counter chlorhexidine solution in order to prevent secondary infection and undelayed healing by secondary intention (no stitches) or, instead, place a few stitches or staples. Can you upload a photo(s) of this wound to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Where is paperclip? I'll send you pic

You might not see it on some devices. If not, please use an external app such as dropbox.com/

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I sent you a pic

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look...

This will heal a lot faster (7-10 days) if stitched or stapled. It will heal if nothing is done but keeping it clean with chlorhexidine only and waiting for the skin to contract closed will take 2-3 weeks. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can i put neosporin on it or hydrogen peroxide until I can get her to the vet on Monday?

Neoporin shouldn't be used under the skin. Peroxide is OK but will sting. I prefer chlorhexidine which you can find under the name of Hibiclens in your local drug store.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thank you, ***** ***** suggestions? She's an extremely outdoor cat

Clean as recommended, let her go out, and then check the wound when she returns to see if it needs cleaning again. Cats are amazing in how quickly these wounds begin to contract closed. The more active she is, however, the less likely that the wound will stay closed!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have a 12 week old puppy and a older cat, is there any chance they coukd catch something from yoko? Dr Google said there is a disease that causes this in cats?

No. There are no specific diseases that cause such wounds in cats nor is contagion a concern. I don't know what that "glue" represented, however, but it may have devitalized the skin to the point that you could easily remove it by pulling on it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I actually kept the patch of skin , hair I pulled off, in hind sight it wasn't the hair I was feeling, it was the skin that had a crusty feel to it like a scab? This opening is huge, like size of a 50 cent piece.

It may well have been a scab over a previous wound that hadn't healed completely. Please have a 50 cent piece opening sutured or stapled closed. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?