Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat suddenly started foaming at the mouth and growling,

My cat suddenly started foaming at the mouth and growling
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your cat?
Customer: She is just sleeping now
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your cat. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Kitten is her name, she is 17
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kitten?
Customer: Her thyroid is overactive and left heart enlarged

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Kitten, please?

Foaming at the mouth is caused by more than usual saliva being aerated. There's often an increased respiratory rate/mouth breathing as well. This can arise if a cat tastes something distasteful, is experiencing gastroesophageal reflux (GERD, acid reflux, heartburn) or pain in the oral cavity. Growling is an indication of displeasure as you might imagine.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Good morning, yes Kitten is looking and feeling good this morning. I also believe it was something she ate whilst outside yesterday.
Thank you for your assistance.

Thank you for the good update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.