How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Gary Your Own Question
Dr. Gary
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Category: Cat Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 3911
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675
Type Your Cat Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Gary is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We brought a new kitten to our home and our older (14 y/o)

Customer Question

We brought a new kitten to our home and our older (14 y/o) cat developed symptoms of Calici even though she has received yearly vaccinations. After 5 weeks and she appeared better she fell ill again this time her pancreas had developed a mass. We had her put to sleep. My concern is that we want to bring another cat or kitten into our home for a playmate for the now 3 month old kitten. Is this advisable?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kitten?
Customer: The kitten has conjunctivitis but not bad and sneezes a lot.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about your loss. It is never easy to have to let a pet go. In the end when that decision is made, it is made for them and not for you. As far as getting another cat / kitten in the home for a housemate, honestly now is probably the best time for it. Younger kittens adapt very readily to new additions to the house. As far as the possible adopted cat / kitten and the current kitten getting along, honestly it varies from situation to situation. More than likely though with time, they would be able to get along well. As far as the current sneezing / conjunctivitis that the younger kitten has now, I wouldn't be overly worried about this. The kitten most likely is fighting off an upper respiratory infection that pretty much all other cats have been exposed too. It may cause a flare up with the new pet, but it wouldn't be anything overly worried about being that bad. I always recommend FELV and FIV testing all cats / kittens 3 months and older to see what there status is.