Emily Bemrose
Emily Bemrose,
Experience:  Associate and Lead Veterinarian at Banfield
99239318

My daughters 2 year old male cats had to travel by car for 7

Customer Question

my daughters 2 year old male cats had to travel by car for 7 hours. Upon their arrival to their new home, they are agitated and constantly crying.
They names are ***** ***** Salem. Hissing at each other and meowing constantly. My daughter arrived last night at a new place and does not know what to do. She has not slept. What can she do
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Emily Bemrose replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is***** I have been a vet for ten years and am happy to try to help. Sorry to hear about your daughters cats! Stressful on them and her I'm sure. Its not unusual for cats to be easily stressed with something like a move. There is a product your daughter can purchase at a pet store called Feliway. It is a cat pheromone product, the same one that is released when they rub their faces along things. It is a relaxing and "happy cat" pheromone, and can be highly effective in times of stress. It comes as a spray that can be sprayed on items in the house, or as a plug in that goes into and outlet and releases the pheromone into the environment. I have had really good success with it in situations like these.

In regards ***** ***** house itself, making sure that the cats have a quiet space, so perhaps setting up one room that has the things they need, and is less affected by the bustle of moving may help. If they are hissing and reactive towards each other they may do better to have separate spaces if possible, just until they settle in better.

The other option for immediate relief would be to have them seen by a veterinarian who can prescribe anti anxiety medications for them while they are getting settled in. Gabapentin and alprazolam are some of the more common ones used, and can be highly effective in alleviating stress and relaxing them. Hope this helps and feel free to ask any other questions you may have. Thanks!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Emily Bemrose
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Hi Dr.Emily: Sorry for the delayed response. Thank you so very, very, very much for your advice. After a stressful situation and following your suggestion everything is fine. The Feliway diffuser, separating the cats and all your other advice worked wonders. The cats are doing fantastic in their new environment ����.What a stress relief you have been.!!!.Thanks again a million times over. Be well. Bernadette
Expert:  Emily Bemrose replied 27 days ago.

So glad to hear Bernadette!! Take care, and glad your daughter has happy kitties again!