Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

She has stopped eating her wet food. She'll only eat treats

Customer Question

She has stopped eating her wet food. She'll only eat treats and some dry food
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Leia. 1 year.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Leia?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she been showing signs?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Any sores in her mouth or does seem uncomfortable when eating?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She's always been finicky, but after a day she would start again. She's been on and off since last Sunday, and hasn't eaten any wet food since Thursday morning. She does lick her lips after treats or after eating some dry food. She does not seem uncomfortable eating treats or dry food. She's never liked her belly rubbed, but that doesn't seem to be any worse than normal for her. She will let me rub her belly occasionally. I haven't noticed her eat anything that you listed that could be bad for her. She's playing right now, so I can't check her gums but I will when she calms down. I've tried about 10 different brands, flavors, and textures. When she does eat wet food it can't be a pate, it has to be chunks in a gravy or sauce. She really only likes salmon and sometimes chicken. She will eat any flavor of treat I give her.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

Now we do need to keep an eye on this situation for Leia. Fussiness over types of food they used to eat can be a sign of oral discomfort (she's a bit young for dental disease, but viral gingivitis, sores, herpes induced ulcers could cause this) or underlying nausea (from brewing gut infections, parasites, dietary indiscretions, etc).

With this in mind, you were right to tempt her but if she isn't eating much dry consider trying her with kitten preparation (you could also offer kitten canned food) as this will have more nutrition per bite to get some more into her. And hat would be better then overfeeding treats as those can be high salt/fat and not do much good. Otherwise, to at least try to counter any low grade nausea we can try Leia with an OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall appetite loss and fussiness to this degree in a young cat does raise some concerns. So,we'd want to try the above and not overdo the treats just now. If she settles, we are happy. But if this lingers through the weekend, then we'd want her vet to see her on Monday to check for those above concerns to ensure we address them and nip them in the bud for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome, my dear ,

Best wishes for you both,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.