Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

My oomeriajan started grawling at us the owners he usually

Customer Question

My oomeriajan started grawling at us the owners he usually very Playful and hyper now 3days ago was very passive took him to er vet they said he has luxatuin patella they were put back into place they gave him a shot and today no appetite no bm and no change but worsened I thought it may be the medication the shot a braid given to him he wsd
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: returned to vet today she gave hil
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: opiod due to vet feels he's in pain and not I m worried he supposedly needs surgery to both knees costing 3k for each? /she said both patella s are not reducible so not going to be ok until sugary I don't understand what happened band they said he needs to be nurtured asap and Ortho asap he a
JA: It's hard to know for sure. The Veterinarian will figure it out. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the animal?
Customer: was walking and Happy a week ago this is a new vet in Paramus they don't let you see what they do to let
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I didn't cause he wants to bite all of us incl my 12 yr old who we just but yesterday trying to get him to go in cage
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I would like to assist with your question today. It sounds like you are going to need a second opinion on your dogs condition. Luxating patellas. This is a fancy name for loose knee caps. The groove the knee cap sits in is often shallow with smaller breed dogs, especially with the maltese. The knee cap can slip in and out of place on its own quite readily in some dogs. It typically is not painful but can develop arthritis with time and this causes more irritation. What typically happens is the dog goes to step on the leg, the knee cap is not in place and they cannot place weight normally. Sometimes they do not place any weight on it, almost like a little skip, or they hold the leg up. The knee cap typically goes back into place on it's own or the dog kicks backwards and this puts it back into place. The arthritis can be managed with joint supplements or anti-inflammatories but typically the knee cap problem can only be fixed surgically and is only warranted in pets with severe trouble.

Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 month ago.

It is true that the surgery is expensive and needs to be done by a specialist because it is not a commonly down surgery for most vets. My main concern with that if the vet first thought they put the knee caps back in place but now says they cannot, that something else is going on. Typically with luxating patellas, it's either one way or the either. Either they are loose and are able to be moved around a lot, like I mentioned above, or they are locked out of place. If that is the case, it would not be something that shows up all of a sudden.

Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Emily