Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

After using a Feliway diffuser to calm my two cats who fight

Customer Question

After using a Feliway diffuser to calm my two cats who fight a lot, I have noticed that judging from my younger cat's aggressive behaviour after the use of it, he seems even more aggressive towards me and my other cat. It's almost as if the use of the diffuser creates pent up aggression. Is there any evidence of this with other cats?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: The younger cat named Chance is about 9 months old and male. The older cat, Mary, is a female is just over 2 1/2 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mary?
Customer: Since Chance's adoption about 4 months ago Mary has never been too friendly towards Chance. He is usually quite aggressive towards Mary.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to answer your question about Feliway.

There actually have been reports of increased aggression after the use of Feliway in certain cats although we don't have a really good explanation for it. As you probably already know, this product contains a natural pheromone which is intended to reduce stress and anxiety with my preference the diffuser rather than the spray.

But, several of my pet owners had to stop using it when their cats displayed the opposite reaction from what we were trying to achieve.

So, your experience isn't that unusual, unfortunately.

Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb