Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years
45762142

I just adopted an 8 wk old kitten 3 days ago. He seemed fine

Customer Question

Hello I just adopted an 8 wk old kitten 3 days ago. He seemed fine but is now suddenly vomiting a few times a day and doesnt seem to be pooping
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the kitten eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that im aware of? Hes been eating normal and good.. i have been tryi g wet as well as dry. Hes drinking water good too
JA: What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Playing normal not acting in pain or discomfort so far?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the kitten?
Customer: Jake
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did give him a dewormer 4 days ago as the person I adopted from said he may have worms. I gave him a 1/2 tab of praziquantel recommended by pet smart.. He's been fine until suddenly today.
Expert:  Dr. Sara replied 4 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Sara

So, most likely it is a combination of the dewormer, new food and stress of a new home. However, a kitten that small will dehydrate quickly and this may be why he is not pooping. Do you already have a vet appt set up for him?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do have a vet appt set up for next week.
Expert:  Dr. Sara replied 4 months ago.

If he is still eating and drinking/peeing and pooping you should be alright. If your vet is open today you may want to schedule an appt for tomorrow am just in case. If he's great tomorrow you can wait until your appt next week, if he's still vomiting you can bring him in for an exam and fluids.... It always seems that things get worse on the weekend when nobody is open except emergenciy hospitals and that can get expensive.

Expert:  Dr. Sara replied 4 months ago.

Please let me know if you need anything else I will be checking in tonight.

Dr. Sara