Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

12 ib cat ingested 10 meq potassium chloride by mistake What

12 ib cat ingested 10 meq potassium chloride by mistake What ill effects should I look for ?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Sammy 2 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sammy?
Customer: No Healthy

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that Sammy ingested 10meq of potassium chloride accidentally.

Even in cats with low blood potassium levels we start supplementation at 2meq up to 4meq per meal. So this is higher than we would like.

That said if he is an otherwise healthy fellow this one time high oral dose may not be a problem for him, his body may be able to adjust and rebalance his blood levels. High levels of potassium supplementation are much more problematic when given intravenously.

Possible side effects from high levels of potassium include lethargy, muscle twitches, possible seizures and changes in heart rate (slow heart rate). If Sammy seems very lethargic today or has any muscle twitches he should see his veterinarian.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you , She is doing well. Seemed to not have any ill effects from the potassium.

Thank you for the update, I am glad to hear that all went well for her, Dr. Kara.