Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

3 yr old Persian is drooling thick vey wet mucus. Oscar. I

3 yr old Persian is...
3 yr old Persian is drooling thick vey wet mucus.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do with the drooling. What is the Persian's name?
Customer: Oscar.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Oscar?
Customer: I got home from work about half an hour ago and couldn't figure out why the floor was wet. Hwad very wet around his face like he feel into the water bowl. He doesn't want his face touched. He is blowing through his nose a few times. It is a thick clear string that keeps coming out.
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/16/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food? New treats? Bones? Human food? The opportunity to get into the trash? Torn up toys? Stressful changes to the environment?

Is he blowing mucus from his nose too?

Any history of illness or injury?

Is he eating and drinking well?

to blowing mucus through his nose every once in a while. I opened some boxes. No other changes. Could a silica packet that is shipped with things to keep them dry cause this? He is an indoor kitty. It is the only thing I can think of. He will not eat. I haven't seen him drink. He doesn't want to be touched. You can definitely tell he does not feel good. He is kind of jumpy, too.

Silica packets are considered non-toxic to animals, this sounds more like a respiratory infection. If he's not eating and you're not sure if he's drinking, he needs to be examined and treated by your vet. When cats stop eating their liver suffers the effects. This can result in a condition known as Fatty Liver Disease (aka Hepatic lipidosis) which can result in liver failure if not addressed. More info here: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2135&aid=217 I would schedule and exam and some diagnostics at this time. Bloodwork to look at the liver values would be wise, but also to determine on the blood work if there are any additional concerns which might have originally been the cause of not eating aside from the mucus. We can see medical concerns like underlying liver disease, kidney disease, bladder infections, periodontal disease, etc. all contribute to not eating in any age of cat. That said, this may all be tied to the mucus you're seeing as many cats will avoid eating and drinking when they cannot effectively breathe or feel poorly due to a URI. A course of antibiotics will certainly be needed to expedite his recovery and getting him back to eat.

You may wish to try not only kitten milk replacer to stimulate his appetite but also pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Oscar?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
I took him to the vet Friday a.m. he did have a respiratory infection. Did get antibiotics started while there. He was doing better by the time we got home. He started eating again that night. Still blows out through his nose once in a while. To be honest, I didn't look at your reply when I saw the message about paying another $28 to talk on the phone. I thought it was going to be a con to keep getting more money. Thanks.
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse