Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My cat has developed some bad nuerologic problems just a few

Customer Question

my cat has developed some bad nuerologic problems just a few days after we used frontline flea and tick. he can't see much and he staggers and is very weak. what can we do and how long will thiss last he is an outside cat about 12years old. he sleeps lot
JA: I'm trying to find the right Veterinarian for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know. I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your cat. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** he is nuttered from long ago 12 years old. has been a great cat and good hunter
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jack?
Customer: we had him to the vet and the vet said he doesn't know what is wrong. but this all happened about 4 days after the frontline plus treatment
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. IF YOU GET REQUEST FOR A PHONE CALL, IT IS FROM THE WEBSITE AND NOT MYSELF. JUST IGNORE IT. If due to the Frontline, it is possible that this may last for a few days to a couple weeks. It just depends. In most cases, the best course of action to hospitalize them on intravenous fluids and supportive care, including any medications to control tremors. You are limited on what you can do at home for this. I would start by bathing in with Dawn dish soap. You may need to do it multiple times. It will help to wash off the Frontline. From there, you need to make sure he can eat and drink on his own. If he can't, the best option is hospitalization, otherwise you can try to syringe food and water into him. Given his condition, it would be safer to keep him inside or in a confined area. He would be very prone to injuring himself or attacked by another animal outside. He wouldn't be able to protect himself well. Realize that there could be other issues, such as an infection, toxin ingestion, an immune system dysfunction or brain tumor. It may be a good idea to see if your vet would put him on antibiotics and possibly steroids to be on the safe side. If he didn't check blood work on him, that would be extremely important to do. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 months ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Jack is doing and to see if you have any other questions.