Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My pygmy buckling is lethargic, looks like hes had diarrhea

& barely able to stand....help...
My pygmy buckling is lethargic, looks like hes had diarrhea & barely able to stand....help
6/14/2017
Dr. Derek
Dr. Derek, Cat Veterinarian
Hello, I'm Dr. Derek, a mixed animal veterinarian. I hope to be of assistance this evening. Diarrhea and lethargy in young goats is a medical emergency. Younger animals such as yours are very susceptible, even prone to, infestations with intestinal parasites. This is the most likely causative agent on my list of differentials and would include coccidia as well as intestinal worms. Your vet can easily diagnose either of these conditions with examination of a fresh fecal sample. In the meantime, suppprtive care with electrolytes and nutritional supplements may help to correct dehydration. Did you purchase this buckling or was he raised on your own farm? What is his environment like (on pasture, housed in a barn, etc.)? What is he fed?
Are there other animals in the same age range?Have they been dewormed recently?
We traded a buckling we had for an outside blood line, so he was from another farm 2 months ago. He is on pasture & occasional sweet feed just as treat for taming. He has a shelter but no barn.
In that case, parasites jump even higher at the top of my list of likely diagnoses. I would support him in the meantime with nutritional supplements such as high energy gels containing propylene glycol, electrolytes and probiotics. I would suggest that you have a fecal exam performed at the very earliest convenience and consider using FAMACHA method for anemia scoring to assess parasite load. FAMACHA charts and directions may be found online, and I am attaching a photo illustrating it as well. Have you dewormed him lately?
Also, do you have a thermometer that you can read a rectal temperature from him with?
No deworming since we got him. We plan on getting into a vet soon as they open in the morning, but at 9 pm that was impossible tonight. I do not have any or any open places to get any high energy gels of things you listed. I tried to give him yogurt, but he didnt want it
What about syrup, any type of corn syrup or table syrup?
Also, Gatorade or Pedialyte?
I will give him some. Just trying to get hin through the night to see vet tomorrow. He looks bad, very lathargic & out of it
I understand. Supportive care is vital until you're able to seek veterinary attention. I would suggest making sure he is warm, and supporting him as we have talked. You may give him one tablespoon of syrup every 3-4 hours to maintain his blood glucose levels, and electrolyte solution (Gatorade or Pedialyte) give 2 ounces by mouth every 1-2 hours
This may require syringing or tubing if you're able.
I would be happy to answer any other questions or address any concerns that you may have. Your satisfaction is my goal. Please remember to rate my response once you are satisfied. Thank you and best wishes.
Dr. Derek
Dr. Derek, Cat Veterinarian
Dr. Derek
Dr. Derek
Dr. Derek, Cat Veterinarian