Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have an older male cat (18yrs) who has 75% loss of his

Customer Question

I have an older male cat (18yrs) who has 75% loss of his kidney function. He spends 95 percent of each day in his bed. His quality of life has really gone down to nearly nothing. Is there a way that I can let him pass on to heaven (while at home) Can I have him euthanized at home.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I am so sorry to hear your cat is so sick, and his quality of life is gone.

You can have him euthanized at home, by a house call veterinarian or your regular vet may do house calls (My clinic offers this service to our clients). It is much less stressful when this is done at home.

The only really safe and effective drug to help a cat pass quietly, peacefully, quickly and without unwanted side effects is only available from a veterinarian and has to be given by IV injection. There is no drug you can buy over the counter, and it takes stuffing way too many pills into a cat (even if you have access to prescription drugs) to have them pass by giving oral medication.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer, and if my answer was helpful.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my answer. How is he doing?