Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My cat has ibd and on steroids. Used to be constipated but

Customer Question

My cat has ibd and on steroids. Used to be constipated but now has chronic diarrhea. Was thinking of giving probiotics. Can I give human probiotics or should it be specific for felines?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Freddie and 14
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Freddie?
Customer: Not really
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can I also give Imodium? How do I dose the probiotic and Imodium? My cat weighs 8 pounds
Expert:  Dr B replied 4 months ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this. First off probiotics will not likely help the diarrhea.....so I would not recommend that. Also if your cat has been controlled on steroids for a while without any diarrhea the possibility of gastrointestinal lymphoma or hyperthyroidism due to the age of your kitty needs to be considered. At the very least you need to see your vet and have a senior bloodwork profile down to rule out metabolic causes of the diarrhea since these are very common in cats. A CBC, chem panel, Felv,FIV, heratworm test, with full chemistry, urine and thyroid testing should be done first. Also parasite testing should be done. if none of this turns up anything then you could be dealing with GI lymphoma. If you are not interested in treating that then I would try low dose metronidazole added to the Prednisolone for the diarrhea and that will likley work very well for awhile. I hope this helps you. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have.

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much!

Expert:  Dr B replied 4 months ago.

Please let me know if you have additional questions....

Expert:  Dr B replied 4 months ago.

Can I assist you further today or answer any other questions for you?