Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

We found a stray kitty but her fur is so matted, we'd like

Customer Question

We found a stray kitty but her fur is so matted, we'd like to help her remove them but don't want to cut the mats with a scissors. Does olive oil work?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the stray kitten bleeding a lot?
Customer: No. She seems very happy and not in a great deal of pain but they have to be sore.
JA: Phew. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: We're calling her Nudge She hits us with her head.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the stray kitten?
Customer: We don't have a history
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, olive oil isn't ideal as it tends to make the matt greasy. Instead, you can try rubbing some baby powder (talc free) into the matt. This will help lubricate the fur and makes it easier to untangle. This must be done on dry fur, as wet fur will just make a caked mess. So it is a case of working it in and then brushing it out with the matt. Otherwise, if they are severe and you aren't keen to cut them (you can cut through the middle of the matt away from the skin then use the above to work out the rest), you could have your local vet or groomer shave Nudge to get her coat matt free and give you an easier place to work from in keeping future matts away.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please use the **STARS** to rate me as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you! This is included in your question fee. : )