Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
97381174

I don't necessarily have a current medical issue with my cat

Customer Question

Hi, I don't necessarily have a current medical issue with my cat but I'm desperately seeking information and I'm wondering if you could help please? My dearly beloved cat who was only 2 years old passed away yesterday. He suffocated to death very horrifically and I was at home on my own. I tried so hard to save him but nothing worked. I was so confused as to what might of happened as he (pan) seemed so healthy and I just didn't understand it I thought he may have choked on something. I sent Pan into the vets that I take all my pets to get a post mortem to find out what happened and I was later told that he had congenital diaphragmatic hernia. Poor darling I feel horrible, he suffered the most horrible death. What is more upsetting and confusing is that Pan didn't show any signs of his condition. He was active, regularly with out struggle. He ate well, drank water well. He had no issues going to the toilet ect.. But Pan did have a weirdly shapped stomach it was very high up. I rescued Panfrom the streets he was really skinny and I put it down to him not eating properly. He had put on weight and he was growing and getting bigger. A while after having Pan he showed symptoms of the flu so I took him into the vets for a check up/hopefully medication to help him and the vet checked him over.. A few months after that we booked pan in to get desexed. Apparently Pan had difficulties breathing while under. I'm just so upset because I would done anything for him including getting the surgery that he needed to hopefully live a long and fulfilling life. Even if Pan didn't survive his surgery at least I would have tried and at least the poor thing wouldn't have died such a horrible death it truly was horrific. He would have just went to sleep and never woken up if he didn't survive his surgery and that would have been a lot nicer way for him to pass away. My question is I had taken Pan into the vets a few times shouldn't they have picked up on something??!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Pan
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pan?
Customer: No
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Perry replied 3 months ago.
Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I am so sorry to hear about what happened to Pan. I have observed what you are describing, and I know how you must have felt. It is a horrible thing to witness, and I am sorry that this happened. Your question was if this should have been picked up with the regular veterinary appointments that Pan had, correct?
Also, you may receive a request for a phone call. This is automatically offered by the website. I am unable to stop this offer from being made, but you do not have to accept it. I am able to answer your question with the chat box only.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Dr Perry, thankyou for you response. Thankyou. Yes it was horrific and I wouldn't wish it on anyone somehow you understanding makes me feel alot better. Yes that is my question, thankyou.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Surely examing him or when they were desexing Pan they would have noticed abnormalities for example: his high up rib cage/stomach or even his heart beat... Maybe not. I don't know.
That is a good question. The short answer is yes, there is a way to diagnose or suspect a hernia based on a simple physical examination. When a doctor is listening to the heart and lung sounds, they should also be attentive to any stomach sounds in the lungs, as this is not a normal finding since the stomach should not be heard in the chest. This is the first indication that a hernia may be present, and then x-rays or ultrasound will confirm the diagnosis. If Pan did not have any present medical problems that can be attributed to this condition (i.e. Vomiting, poor weight gain, lack of appetite, etc.), it is possible the doctors examining him were not particularly attentive to listening for these sounds. If a hernia was present at the time of their examination, the sounds should have been heard if the chest cavity was listened to long enough.