Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I think my goat ate floxglove. Yeasterday i found spi,

Customer Question

I think my goat ate floxglove. Yeasterday i found spi
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your goat will be able to digest that. What is the goat's name and age?
Customer: Sorry
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your goat?
Customer: I found green vomit and admin charcol gel quickly. Hes stilill not feeling well. Should i do more charcol?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Age 1 name Goby
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago do you think he had this?

What dose of charcoal did you give? What does he weigh?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
24hrs. I gave 80cc charol clay gel. 75-80lbs
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you,

Just since I cannot see your charcoal strength, what is the mg or g per cc?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

In the meantime, I do want to touch on our situation here. The problem at this stage is we are getting past that window for blocking absorption. So, we can redoes the activated charcoal but its benefit is waning here. Instead, we need to focus on what this plan toxicity can do ( vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, heart arrhythmias, etc) and treat symptomatically. To start, if he is still unsettled, we'd be best treating with an antacid to coat his stomach and reduce nausea. For this, we can use milk of magnesia as it is a good oral choice as this is a mucosa coating antacid. The dose for this would be 5ml for every 20 pounds every 8-12 hours. After, we want to up his hay/fiber intake to keep his stools firm. And if you see any lapse in drinking we may need to gently encourage or drench electrolytes to keep him hydrated. And if we can settle him over the next 24 hours we are happy. Though any weakness or concern about his heart and we'd need his vet out to assess him as we may need fluids to flush the toxin out sooner.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide high quality advice to you as I would for my own clients. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** as this is the only way I am credited for my work & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close and you can still ask follow-up questions.**

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
80cc of apulgite and kaolin
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

That is not a strength (g/ml or mg/ml would appear after the number). Anyway, again if we are 24 hours out, this is of limited use. So, I'd be more keen for you to focus on what this plan toxicity can do ( vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, heart arrhythmias, etc) and treat symptomatically. To start, if he is still unsettled, we'd be best treating with an antacid to coat his stomach and reduce nausea. For this, we can use milk of magnesia as it is a good oral choice as this is a mucosa coating antacid. The dose for this would be 5ml for every 20 pounds every 8-12 hours. After, we want to up his hay/fiber intake to keep his stools firm. And if you see any lapse in drinking we may need to gently encourage or drench electrolytes to keep him hydrated. And if we can settle him over the next 24 hours we are happy. Though any weakness or concern about his heart and we'd need his vet out to assess him as we may need fluids to flush the toxin out sooner.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.