Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I wrote to you a few hours ago about my cat vomiting and

Customer Question
urinating frequently. You said could...
I wrote to you a few hours ago about my cat vomiting and urinating frequently. You said could be inflammation and advised Pepcid. Well I think my cat is vomiting because his bladder is distended and puts pressure on stomachs. He vomits when he tries to pee.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/11/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Oh dear, poor Benny.

Is he still passing urine as you noted before (as he shouldn't be distended if he is passing a significant amount)?

Does he seem tender now when you press on the lower abdomen?

Did they scan his bladder at any point?

His bladder does feel distended and he seems uncomfortable when I touch it. He is still wet from urine. He walked over to water fountain but didn't drink.
They didn't ultrasound. Thru my took trays. Vet opens at 10 30
It feels full when I press near bladder. I just thought this may be reason he is vomiting.
He is not his usual affectionate self.

Oh dear, that isn't what we want. Its is understandable he isn't himself. If he is distended feeling and uncomfortable when palpated we'd be worried he is blocking (even partially) again. Crystals or urethra sphincter spasming would be a concern. As well, if he wasn't scanned there is a bit of worry we could have a tumor at the bladder neck. So, in this case, frustratingly, we need him seen as soon as you can get him in (to the local ER vet or his own) to check for those issues I noted and start further treatment to counter those found present.

Dr. B.

frustrating as he was fine till he went for urinalysis. I am going to bring him when vet opens at 10:30.
Could getting the urine culture have caused him to block up again?

No, I know. I share your frustrations here since he sounded like he was still passing a decent volume despite the straining but now it sounds like we have more to it. So, its less likely the culture is to blame but the stress of the visit may have been. And I'd say check to see when the nurses get in because you could have him in sooner (they can phone the vet even if they are not in for advice) and at least started on some pain relief.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Benny has a blockage and Vet said the vomiting is from that. He is admitted, getting a catheter and IV fluids. Vet said very likely stress induced. In future said should try natural anti anxiety remedy.
Thanks for your help.
It is a catch 22 as I gave to bring him in to be checked but then he gets blocked. Vet has seen this a few times.
Thankfully only partial blockage. Poor baby.

You are very welcome and thank you for the update,

Poor love, partial blockages so frustrating though thankfully not as risky as the full ones. So, I am glad to see they have treated him and hopefully we can get settled, home, and away from having to see the vet for good while. Though just to note, it he needs to be seen in the future, you might want to discuss home visits (or a mobile vet) as a less stressful option.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

It's the Humane society of N.Y.. They don't do home visits and any place that did would be costly. Do you know of any calming natural remedies? I will also talk to vet.

Bummer, that is a shame (here in the UK all practices are obligated to offer home visits).

In regards ***** ***** treatments, Zylkene (which is casein protein based), Kalmaid and Pet Naturals Calming Supplements for Cats tend to be my go to treatments. Though VetriScience Laboratories Composure treats are beneficial as well. Also just from the point of view of targeting the bladder specifically, speak to his vet about Cystease, Cystophan, and Cystaid as those can support stressed bladders and may be of help here for Benny.

All the best,

Dr. B.

I didn't realize you are from UK. Do they make these in US? Will speak to my Vet but the Vet I saw recommended something with tryptophan.

Hi again,

No worries, its why I am here in the otherwise unsociable hours for my American colleagues.

Anyway, all of the calming ones are in the US (Amazon even carries them) and off the top of my head I know tryptophan is in Composure. The Cystease is made by the folks that make Feliway, so I would expect that one is available there at least. But your vet will know which they can order in for you.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

I went to Amazon as and found the composure treats. Also found Zylkene. Not sure how man mg. I am thinking to go with lowest dose of 75mg.
Also what about the Bach remedy for cats. I actually have it and don't think I used.

Good, Though if you have that one, you can give it a try first. Else the 75mg is the cat dose for Zylkene and it can be mixed with food. :)

All the best,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian